Tuesday 8 July 2008

THE BOOK

Hello friends,
it's me again. Usually it's only you who are telling NICE things about their studies but TODAY I also found something nice that characterises us mathematicians... pretty well.
I was actually looking for some proof that could help me with my homework and ended up on the Wikipedia article about the Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdős:

He had his own idiosyncratic vocabulary: he spoke of "The Book", an imaginary book in which God had written down the best and most elegant proofs for mathematical theorems. Lecturing in 1985 he said, "You don't have to believe in God, but you should believe in The Book." He himself doubted the existence of God, whom he called the "Supreme Fascist" (SF) [6]. He accused the SF of hiding his socks and Hungarian passports, and of keeping the most elegant mathematical proofs to himself. When he saw a particularly beautiful mathematical proof he would exclaim, "This one's from The Book!". This later inspired a book entitled Proofs from THE BOOK.


Well SOMETIMES I like those folks. (But. I didn't manage to finish my homework anyway.)

No comments: